[development] LinksDB vs. Links

Gary Feldman dpal_gaf_devel at marsdome.com
Wed Aug 2 16:44:42 UTC 2006

Morbus Iff wrote:
>> What difference does it make anyway since browsers compress multiple
>> spaces down into one unless they are hard spaces or non-breaking spaces?
>
> This attitude is why your code looks the way it does
> - you're not interested in knowing the Right Answer,
> only what works Well Enough.

Could we please give this discussion a rest?  There is no mention of
this in the style guide at http://drupal.org/node/318, nor should there
be.

The quality of Drupal doesn't hinge on whether or not there's consistent
spacing after sentences in strings passed to t() for ultimate
presentation via HTML in a variable width font.  There's no indication
that users even notice it, let alone think it important, or that Drupal
is losing potential users due to it.  There's no evidence that it makes
it easier to find code bugs, or just maintain code, or even to proofread
text.  It's not a good example of a standard, and trying to enforce it
just diminishes those coding standards that do affect code quality,
while debating it distracts from the important discussions.

Gary