[development] Patching settings.php

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu Aug 3 03:30:29 UTC 2006

Jeremy Epstein wrote:
> Hi guys,
> http://drupal.org/cvs?file=/sites/default/settings.php

The root cause of this is the installer, which writes directly to
settings.php.

I propose we move settings.php to settings-dist.php (or similar) and the
installer can copy that and update rather than write to a file that is
in CVS.

At the same time, I think we should do the same with .htaccess if we
can, because often .htaccess needs to be modified locally, and it's
annoying having to weed that out of patches too. Of course, that's a
little more complex due to needing write permissions and all.