[development] Strip out theme functions into a .theme file

Adam Cooper Adam_Cooper at europe.pall.com
Fri Aug 4 10:37:07 UTC 2006

Dries Wrote:
>On 03 Aug 2006, at 20:32, Jakub Suchy wrote:
>>> Adrian seems to think it is not a performance issue though.
>>
>> Imagine you have 15 activated modules. Every module has 2 theme
>> functions, which makes it 30 fopen() calls for every page load.
>> This IS
>> performance issue.
>
>There is lots of subtle trade-offs involved (eg. less PHP parsing,
>smaller memory footprint, but more fopen() calls) and it is hard to
>predict how these level out.  Let's not make claims and just
>benchmark it?

Would an opcode cache help to negate the fopen() calls? It may be worth
benchmarking to see.

Adam

This message may contain confidential or privileged information,
and is intended only for the addressee or other persons entitled
to access the information. If you are not the intended or
authorised recipient of this message please notify the sender by
return and then delete it from your mailbox. Any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of this communication without prior
permission is prohibited. Internet communications are not secure
and may be susceptible to data corruption, interception and
unauthorised amendment for which Pall Europe Limited does not
accept liability. Whilst we have taken all reasonable
precautions to ensure that this e-mail and any attachments have
been swept for viruses, Pall Europe Limited does not accept
liability for losses sustained as a result of software viruses.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Pall Europe Limited
unless otherwise specifically stated.

Registered Office and Corporate Headquarters: Pall Europe
Limited, Europa House, Havant Street, Portsmouth, PO1