[development] Strip out theme functions into a .theme file

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Aug 4 11:04:02 UTC 2006

Op donderdag 3 augustus 2006 19:37, schreef Nick Wilson:
> Just getting developers to make sure tables and other html elements have
> unique id's or classes would be wonderful -- im all for this, but i
> think it would be beneficial if some of the theming functions *required*
> these optional attributes.

We had a long thread abotu this when I tried to introduce exactly this in a
theme_wrapper() http://drupal.org/node/23584
I hoped that would become a general "add some HTML around this string"
function. It enforced unique IDs and allowed nice classes.

But it seems the community is split when it comes to this: developers want to
include only the IDs and CLASSes they need for their case: fair enough. The
themers part of the community has been begging for some guidelines in IDs and
classes for ages.

For that latter group I decided that we need to do this on the theme level:
its "our" domain ;)
 I therefore aim at, what I call brickslate, an engine that makes sure you
receive proper IDs and CLASSes, consistently names, in nice, useful and clean
HTML.
 The first step towards this can already be seen in the phptemplate theme
whatisinitsname:
http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/themes/whatsinitsname/ and
http://webschuur.com/taxonomy/term/65

I am now finishing up the first theme I built on top of this frame, and so far
I am impressed. I designed a pure CSS theme with only CSS, with hardly ever
changing the actual HTML I outputted, and I found the naming iof the IDs and
classes very easy to grok and remember. But I will refrain from releasing
anything, untill I have build more themes on this base. With this you can
help, by using it and giving feedback :) After all "the proof of the pudding
is in the eating" (or so)

Once I am happy with this whatsinitsname theme, I want to move it a step
further: fork/rewrite PHPtemplate so it outputs this stuff by default, and
makes it a lot more consistent and easier: brickslate.

I suspect that if we get such a theme system running properly and get it
sorted out to be the perfect HTML generator after some time, that thatwill
trickle back into core and contribs. Then contribs and core can start to
follow the consistent naming conventions we introduced!

Bèr
--
| Bèr Kessels | webschuur.com | Drupal, Joomla and Ruby on Rails web
development |
| Jabber & Google Talk: ber at jabber.webschuur.com |
| http://bler.webschuur.com | http://www.webschuur.com |