[development] The www-subdomain (WAS: Re: Patching settings.php)

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Aug 4 15:49:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, August 4, 2006 7:32 am, Greg Knaddison - GVS said:
> On 8/3/06, Earl Miles <merlin at logrus.com> wrote:
>>
>> The www prefix is only redundant if you feel your domain exists only for
>> the web.
>>
>> Mine uses mail, DNS and other services as well and they may not be on
>> the same machines.
>
> You say that like DNS isn't flexible enough to handle www at
> http://example.com and mail.example.com records on different IPs.  I
> have several such installations.  This is pretty off-topic, but it's
> worth being right about the technical details if we're going to use
> them for the basis of drupal's behavior.
>
> Personally I'm with Freso - I see no point in the www and feel that
> the site should silently drop it if a user inserts it (much like
> drupal.org does).
>
> Regards,
> Greg

My personal network has garfieldtech.com on one server, and
www.garfieldtech.com on a completely different server on a different
network in a different timezone.  garfieldtech.com is in my living room
and runs my email and jabber server, while www.garfieldtech.com is on a
shared host at a professinal hosting company.  Going to garfieldtech.com
in a browser currently gets you a "welcome to apache" page, I think. :-)

No, www.example.com and example.com are NOT the same thing.  That's a very
overly-web-centric view.  DNS is used for a lot of things besides just
HTTP routing.

That said, I'll "me too" on using whatever the admin uses to access the
install page, as that's a pretty good guess as to what the admin wants.
Either that or just using the default directory.

--Larry Garfield