[development] CCK status?

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 10:36:06 UTC 2006

On 04 Aug 2006, at 15:50, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>> Right, I was aware of all of this. I was referring more to the
>> development of the contrib module for 4.7 (things like [1], [2],
>> [3], [4]). It's just that over the past several months I've
>> noticed a number of threads where it appeared folks were waiting
>> for JonBob's blessing to move forward and I never saw his
>> response. Maybe he's communicated with them on IRC or something.
>
> I am kind of in the same boat. For a project of mine I need to
> decide whether to go with cck or to write my own node module.
> I would prefer to go with cck as I see a bigger benefit to Drupal
> as a whole, but if development does not seem to be viable, I might
> have to ditch the plan.

It is a fact that every day more and more people are relying on CCK,
or want to rely on the CCK but don't feel comfortable to.  That's
exactly why I'd like to move CCK to Drupal core: http://buytaert.net/
custom-content-types.  One step at a time, using incremental
patches.  :-)

If more people would be willing to help with this, we could have a
functional CCK in Drupal core.  It would be stable, reliable and
future proof.  It would make live easier for many people.

Ask yourself: do you want to be able to use and rely on CCK in the
next Drupal version?  If the answer is 'yes', and if the CCK is
valuable to you, help get it into core.  It doesn't get any more
complex than that.

Next, ask yourself: what is it worth to me to have CCK in Drupal
core?  What would be the impact on my work and projects, and at the
Drupal community at large?  What would be the indirect impact on my
work if this helps Drupal grow?  Is it worth a couple hours of your
time?