[development] Configurable content types in core

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Mon Aug 7 00:36:17 UTC 2006

I committed the first part of Content Creation Kit, configurable content
types, to core. Here are some next steps:

- Test and find the bugs that we haven't found yet.
- Make book, blog, and forum types work with only configurable content
types.
- Documentation (I've had a hard time explaining this).
- Start moving fields module towards core, only 4 weeks left.

On fields module, I haven't looked at it much recently, but I'm guessing
I'll make the same request I did of content module, merge it into node
module. I'm not 100% sure of this quite yet, since not as many people
will have custom fields.

If a feature is basic functionality which most people will use, prefer
adding it to the most logical module (and conditionally including any
appropriate code), instead of adding another module. If a computer can
decide if code needs to be included or not, it will probably be smarter
than a user.

The real question is, should we have fields always be configurable or
should the be a global switch (a module) to turn them off?

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com/