[development] Strip out theme functions into a .theme file

Gildas Cotomale gildas.cotomale at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 16:33:32 UTC 2006

Nick Wilson :

> * and then Bèr Kessels declared....
> > I am now finishing up the first theme I built on top of this frame, and so far
> > I am impressed. I designed a pure CSS theme with only CSS, with hardly ever
> > changing the actual HTML I outputted, and I found the naming iof the IDs and
> > classes very easy to grok and remember. But I will refrain from releasing
> > anything, untill I have build more themes on this base. With this you can
> > help, by using it and giving feedback :) After all "the proof of the pudding
> > is in the eating" (or so)
>
> I'm planning on doing just that. But here's something to think about:
> phptemplate is messy, mixing html with php -- actually, i find
> phptemplate truly horrid, and only work with it if i have too -- if
> you're tying to get drupal to be cleaner coded, why not use the Smarty
> engine instead of phptemplate aswell?

Like here : http://gallery.menalto.com/node/31167
You mean that you prefer
<?php print $var ?>
vs.
{$var}
and you claim "PHP is too complicated for web designers. They just
want HTML!". :))

Emphasing http://www.massassi.com/php/articles/template_engines/
I'll say "In short, the point of template engines should be to
separate your business logic from your presentation logic, not
separate your PHP code from your HTML code." And there, phpTemplate is
far superior to smarty.
Jeremy and Adrian already gave interesting args on that months ago..
See http://lists.drupal.org/archives/development/2006-05/msg00248.html
& http://lists.drupal.org/archives/development/2006-05/msg00255.html
Excuse, but Drupal did it the right way by choosing phpTemplate..

--
http://drupal.org/node/68827