[development] Install profiles should be in their own directories

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Tue Aug 8 17:15:44 UTC 2006

Adrian Rossouw wrote:
> http://drupal.org/node/77549
>
> I am not going to re-hash everything I said there, but I need to say
> that install profiles as they are now are not really adequate
> for many of the things we hope to accomplish with them.
>
> I have been building install profiles in one manner or another for 2
> years now, and that patch is part of what I found were the base
> requirements of making install profiles work for us, and very likely
> anybody who runs more than 1 site on an install.

This looks good to me.  We have a need for installing multi-site distributions
where some instances have differing sets of modules and themes available from
other instances.  Without this patch or install config data in its own
directory, there are problems with that kind of mass hosting.

Can we use a different name than "install profile" to avoid confusion with
other uses of the word "profile"?  How about distributions and the files can
be called "distfiles" (Unix precedent from rdist command) or something.  Or we
could be like Python and invent new names and call them "drops" or "droplets"
or something.  :-)

..chrisxj