[development] Configurable content types in core

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Wed Aug 9 11:23:29 UTC 2006

Op maandag 7 augustus 2006 12:18, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> Let's come up with a list of advantages and disadvantages of both
> approaches?

And -for once- come up with a good database model (entity relation diagram)
before  the code/patch?

If you want to do something this big good, your datamodel must be good. And to
design a complex datamodel, simple PHP code won't cut it.

Because of this, I have just put my initial thoughs online with the ERD. As I
state in the small description, I am clueless when it comes t drawing such
diagrams. :)

  http://webschuur.com/node/643

Antoher point I'd like to make is that we should not rush this in, but maybe
should make this is a coding session at the DrupalCON? Where we can design
the datastructure first then code it, and then create a nice future-proof
patch from it.

Thigs I'd liek to see, for example are
 * hooks to alter field_instances (hook form alter-simplified)
 * hooks to alter field behaviour (should GoldMember see field X)
 * hooks to add fields to the field_types (library)
... etc.

Prolly we can think of a lot more. And coming up with a good
power/flexibity/performance balance requires thought, and a good route. Not
some rushed in patch.

Bèr
--
| Bèr Kessels | webschuur.com | Drupal, Joomla and Ruby on Rails web
development |
| Jabber & Google Talk: ber at jabber.webschuur.com |
| http://bler.webschuur.com | http://www.webschuur.com |