[development] Distilling distributions from configured sites.

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Aug 9 19:12:14 UTC 2006

On Wed, August 9, 2006 9:35 am, Khalid B said:

>> > yes. this is sticks out like a sore thumb given how smooth install is
>> now.
>>
>> I mentioned this to eaton a little:
>>
>>   * the installer should save to sites/domain.com/settings.php.
>
> It already does that, sort of, if the directory for the domain is created
> and if
> the settings.php is the default one.
>
> So, if what you are saying is it should create domain.com directory and
> settings.php, then I am with you on this.
>
> Long term, using domain.com is far better than default, since you can
> move from multi site to single site and vice versa seamlessly. If you
> use default, there is a lot of work involved and hence not seamless.

What about moving from a test site to a live site, however?  I do that all
the time.  We should have clear migration instructions available in a
provided readme or even in settings.php itself, as well as on the site, if
it's not going to be automated.

>>   * the installer should pre-create sites/domain.com/files/
>
> Fully agree.

+1

> If the Apache user cannot create the directory, then it should tell the
> user to do so.
>
> While we are at it, why not add modules and themes as empty directories
> too?

+1  I don't know if we want it to create sites/all/modules et al, however.
 I can see arguments both directions.

--Larry Garfield