[development] Adding to Profile forms - is hardcoding the only way?

Carl Mc Dade carl_mcdade at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 10 10:13:15 UTC 2006

crap! I hijacked the other thread again...

I guess what I am looking for is a way to use another module to hook into profile.modules rendering of fields. So that I can change a particular field (textarea) using form_alter to change it to a group and add my markup field to that group. This way they can continue to use profile.module and I don't have to hardcode each instance. But I cannot see how to do this from the Form API docs.

Carl Mc Dade <carl_mcdade at yahoo.com> wrote:    Hmm,

After reading my own post I saw that I left out a critical point. The original fields are being created with profile.module. I have brought up the subject of changing this but for now I wanted to know if Forms API can hook into the dynamic creation of form fields handled by the profile.module

Sorry about that. The previous post was badly formulated.

I also thought of using straight markup to create a custom textarea with the HTML  added but  profile.module does not have this ability. Is anyone working on this type of functionality?

- Carl

Adrian Rossouw <adrian at bryght.com> wrote: take a look at how the filter forms work.

There's help text in the node_example.module about it too.

Essentially you need to create a grouping array, move the original element into it , and then put  your new field into that.
This is all perfectly possible with form_alter

On 8/10/06, Carl Mc Dade <carl_mcdade at yahoo.com> wrote: I am adding a markup field to a Profile form but only want the field to show after a certain textarea. The idea is to use the links in the markup field to enter text in the textarea above it. I have set in the working code and have no problem with it but am questioning the fact that hardcoding this in seems to be the only way.

Is there a way of doing this using the FormsAPI? a grouping syntax? Something like show this field only if a related field is present?

Is there a hook for FormsAPI that would help?

TIA

 Carl Mc Dade
____________________________
 Web Developer for Hire
 http://www.heroforhire.net
 info at heroforhire.net

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.  Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

 Carl Mc Dade
Web Developer
Dataföreningen i Sverige AB
www.d4d.se