[development] Heatmaps on Drupal.org

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Thu Aug 10 16:16:09 UTC 2006

Gary Feldman wrote:
> Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>> How would you define a succes reate of searches? We log search
>> requests too.

> For starters, given a search and results, does the user look at them or
> immediately submit a different but related search?  If you look at a set
> of search results, do they seem to be related or disparate?

Makes sense.

> I haven't
> looked to see if there are any automated tools that help.  I could
> imagine automatically looking for a sequence of searches that are
> successively refined (e.g. search for word1, then search for word1 and
> word2), but that wouldn't find related word searches (e.g. search for
> "categories" then search for "vocabularies").

We have the referrers (yes, I know) for successive clicks, so it should
be possible to see the user behaviour and might even be able to extract
this automatically.

> I'm sure there's more around this.  I just know enough to be dangerous,
> i.e., I know that search facilities are used heavily at many types of
> sites, and therefore they are an extremely important feature (perhaps
> the most important part of any product-oriented web site), but I haven't
> looked much at what makes a search facility good or bad.

Oh, the search feature is heavily used on drupal.org, we had about
1350*50 = 67500 searches in the last week.

And in fact, it is noticable how silent the "Drupal's search module
sucks" crowd has become since we upgraded to 4.7.

Cheers,
	Gerhard