[development] [User experience feature] Access Control enhancement - add role name to link hover text

greggles drupal-devel at drupal.org
Tue Aug 15 16:37:17 UTC 2006

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/78773
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/78773

 Project:      User experience
 Version:      <none>
 Component:    usability
 Category:     feature requests

This is very similar to the goal of http://drupal.org/node/28301 though
28301 which should have been implemented in
http://drupal.org/node/44379 but it seems to have fallen out of that
issue.

Basically, there's lots of people who agree this is a good idea, though
moshe's comment#13 on 28301 seems to indicate that it should be simpler
than the patch by inactivist.

greggles

Previous comments:

Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:10:34 +0000 : inactivist

One of the things that frustrates me when using drupal is the access
control feature.  I think the basic idea is fine; it's just that the UI
for the access control panel (a grid of checkboxes) can be cumbersome to
work with when you have multiple non-standard roles defined.

My straightforward solution is to prepend the text *"allow [role name]
to " *the tooltip text for the checkbox.

For background and details, see my write-up on twogrunts.com [1].

/*Note:* this is my first attempt at submitting a patch to anything in
the drupal project, core or otherwise.  I'm a newbie (to drupal and
PHP), so please, let me know if I'm taking the wrong approach here, or
if there's an easier way to do this.  In particular, I wasn't sure what
project and component to assign this to./

[1] http://www.twogrunts.com/node/3