[development] Drupal performance

Nick Lewis nick at nicklewis.org
Wed Aug 16 05:22:24 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:
> Hello world,
>
> recently I did some performance analysis of Drupal and compared it to
> Joomla.
>
>   http://buytaert.net/drupal-vs-joomla-performance
>
> Unfortunately, Drupal is quite slow when it comes to generating
> non-cached pages.  It would be great if we could focus some more on
> the performance of non-cached pages.  Why?  Because in practice, it is
> often a _lot_ more important than the performance of cached pages.
>
> I know there are some patches in the queue, and I know we talked about
> this a lot in the past.  I'll review, test and benchmark some of these
> patches ASAP.  There are also a number of ideas that haven't been
> implemented/tested yet.
>
> I hope that you will do the same, and that you continue to think (out
> of the box) with regard to Drupal's performance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Dries Buytaert  ::  http://www.buytaert.net/
Just of note -- replacing views, most of phptemplate, blocks, and
regions with specialized arrays with "render" functions just brought one
site I'm working on a 100-300% performance boost for non cached pages.
Oddly, when I added back the menu system, it did not affect my ghetto
benchmarks more than 50-100 microseconds (the orignal frontpage was
clocking in at 3000 to 4000 microseconds, today's gutting out has
brought it down to an average of 800 microseconds). So, blocks, views,
and phptemplate are likely culprits IMHO. In the order of my suspicion,
I'd go with views, blocks, and finally phptemplate.

Best,
Nick Lewis
http://www.nicklews.org