[development] type(N) in MySQL numeric type defs in core schema useless

Stefan Borchert stefan at borchert.cc
Fri Aug 18 09:23:56 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert schrieb:
> On 18 Aug 2006, at 08:32, Sammy Spets wrote:
>
>> Given that, why on earth are we even using them? I propose to strip
>> the
>> (N) declaration from core schema files. It'll provide a much quicker
>> path between MySQL and PostgreSQL declarations.
>>
>> Any complaints about this proposition?
>>
> Is this true for all types, or just of, say, integers or varchars?

See char [1] and binary[2] documentation. The (N) declaration is for
reserving space in the specified column (for example char(4) stores 'a'
as 'a   '). Therefore I would support Sammy's proposal to strip the
unneeded (N) declaration.
> What URL did you get that information from?

I guess he took this one:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/numeric-types.html

[1] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/char.html
[2] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/binary-varbinary.html