[development] CVS HEAD, code freeze, zeitgeist

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 09:58:54 UTC 2006

On 18 Aug 2006, at 02:29, Derek Wright wrote:
> also, given that CCK in core is basically crippled as it stands (no
> fields) and yet CCK in contrib doesn't work w/ CCK in core, and
> flexinode isn't going to be ported to either 4.7 or 4.8 (according
> to ber), i have serious concerns about freezing.  dynamic content
> types are essential for basically every real drupal site i'm
> dealing with.  if core isn't going to provide fields, we absolutely
> *must* have a plan for working fields in 4.8 contrib (and further
> acknowledge that core basically requires contrib to be functional
> 95% of the time).

Imagine that the CCK was not in core, and that the CCK in contrib
would continue to be crippled during the 4.8/5.0 period.  That would
be an even worse scenario, wouldn't it?

It is pretty clear that getting a proper CCK implementation into core
is a big task.  It might not be apparent to some, but the past two
years we've been slowly rewriting Drupal core around the CCK, and
we're tackling one CCK hack/workaround after another.

It all started with the forms API in Drupal 4.7; being able to extend
and validate forms was a requirement for the CCK.  Now, in Drupal
4.8/5.0 we'll have structured body arrays, required to properly
output CCK node types.  We're also shipping with basic (non-
extensible) CCK types.  Not to mention various of the smaller steps;
the ability to rename the 'Title' field to give one example.  Just
like Drupal 4.7, Drupal 4.8/5.0 will be a huge step in the CCK's
direction.  We're paving the path and so far we've been good at it.  :-)

There is a certain irony in the fact that the contrib CCK might be
broken.  Normally, the size and the complexity of the contrib CCK
should shrink and shrink until, ultimately, there is little or
nothing left from the contrib CCK.  As a result, it should become
easier and easier to maintain.

That said, I agree that the current situation is not optimal and that
we'd greatly benefit from having basic support for CCK fields in
core.  The reality is that it will probably take another release to
get it right, and that it will take several more releases to add
polish.  Of course, you never know.  We still have two weeks left,
and there is a lot that one can do in two weeks ... (It wouldn't be
the first time this release cycle that Eaton, jaza or chx come
forward with a big chunk of CCK code.)

It is dangerous to postpone the code freeze in order to get more
stuff in core: it takes time to implement this, and as far as I know,
no one is currently working on a patch to get basic field support
into core.  If there was a patch and the commitment/willingness to
finish it before the code freeze, the situation might be different
depending on the state of such a patch.  Right now, there is no code
to justify such a decision.