[development] Missing ?> in 4.7.x Files

inkfree press inkfree at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 13:43:26 UTC 2006

I am trying to determine if something is happening to unpacked zip files
OMM, or if there is something else going on.

After experiencing some odd errors, it came to my attention that certain
files in the unzipped 4.7.2 and 4.7.3 releases are missing a final ending
"?>" PHP closing tag.

For example, 'index.php' looks exactly like this (4.7.3):

=======<code>

<?php
// $Id: index.php,v 1.90 2006/01/27 18:51:51 dries Exp $

/**
 * @file
 * The PHP page that serves all page requests on a Drupal installation.
 *
 * The routines here dispatch control to the appropriate handler, which then
 * prints the appropriate page.
 */

require_once './includes/bootstrap.inc';
drupal_bootstrap(DRUPAL_BOOTSTRAP_FULL);

$return = menu_execute_active_handler();
switch ($return) {
  case MENU_NOT_FOUND:
    drupal_not_found();
    break;
  case MENU_ACCESS_DENIED:
    drupal_access_denied();
    break;
  case MENU_SITE_OFFLINE:
    drupal_site_offline();
    break;
  default:
    // Print any value (including an empty string) except NULL or undefined:
    if (isset($return)) {
      print theme('page', $return);
    }
    break;
}

drupal_page_footer();

=======</code>

That document ends (OMM) with the final code line at line 34, then is
followed by two blank lines.  The final line is numbered 36, that is, but 35
and 36 are line feeds/new lines only.  [Note the missing ?> after that final
function call.]

Is this something happening during MY unzip, or is this also true for
others?

I really find this interesting, and will clearly explore any issues which
might be affecting my machine.

Thanks for any insight.
--
inkfree

P.S.  'My machine' =  Mac OS X.3.9 (Panther) and I've been unpacking and
testing Drupal here since before version 4.6, with no problems at all.