[development] CVS HEAD, code freeze, zeitgeist

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 15:28:42 UTC 2006

On 8/18/06, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:
> Contrib CCK is working with 4.7. The fact that it doesn't work ith HEAD
> is due to a table name collission. That's all, as far as I know.

That's the main reason why contrib CCK doesn't work with 4.7. There
are (as far as I can think of) 3 other (related) reasons:

1. The 'node_type' table in core HEAD has a somewhat different schema
to the 'node_type' table in CCK contrib.
2. User-defined node types (i.e. all CCK node types) no longer need to
be defined through hook_node_info(): they only need to have their
entry in the 'node_type' table maintained.
3. There is now a UI for adding/editing/deleting node types in node.module.

(1) will take a reasonable amount of work to address. Contrib CCK will
need to switch from using its own API functions, to using the new API
functions provided by node.module, wherever possible. Where not
possible, CCK may need to have some of its SQL queries (and dependent
code) modified.

(2) should be easy to address. Just remove the content_node_info() function.

(3) should also be easy to address. Just remove the content type
add/edit/delete UI from content.module (since core now provides it),
and leave the field add/edit/delete UI.

This is just my predictions - I haven't actually investigated updating
CCK myself (that's up to the CCK maintainers). Also, I should point
out that I know a lot more about the new CCK features in core, than I
know about contrib CCK.

Cheers,
Jaza.