[development] Fixing themes and regions

Evan Leeson evan at blurt.info
Mon Aug 21 22:55:41 UTC 2006

On Aug 17, 2006, at 5:30 PM, Neil Drumm wrote:

> Nedjo Rogers wrote:
>> I know that there's work ongoing to improve theme handling of
>> regions. But I'm behind on the status of this work. Is any of it
>> for 4.8/5.0?
>
> I see two big challenges in block administration:
>

> 1. The number of regions is getting larger
>
> Block regions are defined by the needs of page templates. Multiple
> themes can be enabled and have at least one page template each.
> More page templates can be defined by path [1]. There continue to
> be a lot of blocks.
>
> This trend is already straining the existing user interface.
> Placing a block in multiple regions will probably be wanted in the
> future.
>
> The UI is currently block-driven, you see every block and decide
> where it needs to go. I think this needs to be reversed to be
> region-driven. You see every region and decide what needs to go in it.

WordPress widgets uses an excellent  ajaxian UI where you drag and
drop widgets (blocks) into columns that represent regions so you can
see how they will show up and can re-order them by drag and drop.
Given most Drupal Themes arrange blocks vertically inside regions,
this would seem to be applicable as well, though a horizontal region
should be representable the same way. Then you click on that block in
the GUI to bring up other block configuration options like block
title, contents, etc.

Drag and drop might remove the need for setting weights the way we do
it now.

In this case I would suggest the blocks be arranged by region as you
suggest, but also by template. I tend to use multiple page templates,
so a tab in the block administration interface for each template in a
theme would be useful as well. each tab would give you another visual
representation of the block arrangement.

Permissions-based display of a lot of blocks (i.e. in an OG install)
would make this kind of interface a challenge in a high N block
environment, but I must say, I love the way Wordpress Widgets does
it.  In the case of a lot of blocks, you could allow the user to
scale the GUI so blocks are smaller, and then they magnify on mouse-
over like the icons in the Mac OS X Dock. And then we could solve all
the pain and suffering the world and end war forever.  :-)

I'm jumping in in the middle here so I hope I'm not redundant. Please
ignore if so.

evan