[development] Co-maintainer sought for VotingAPI

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Tue Aug 22 16:26:23 UTC 2006

Inspired by Dries' essay on maintaining Drupal modules and cultivating
the Drupal ecosystem, I've decided that the time to seek a co-maintainer
for VotingAPI is right. It's been around for almost a year now, and a
healthy group of modules now depend on it -- to the point that keeping
it updated and fixing bugs has a nontrivial 'ripple effect' to other
dependent projects.

For those who don't know, VotingAPI is a centralized system for storing,
calculating, and caching vote/rating data. It's designed to be used by
multiple modules simultaneously, and to take the pain out of
implementing a focused or customized rating solution on your web site.
Modules like nmoderation, vote-up-down, loves-and-hates, and user review
all use it. Quite a bit of work has gone into tying it to
actions.module, for use in workflows, though a clean UI for managing
that process hasn't yet been written.

Since I wrote VotingAPI I've gotten involved in a number of other
projects. I still work on it, but I realize that I am now a single point
of failure for close to a dozen other rating projects. That won't work.

If there are any other folks interested in working alongside, either in
a 'pure maintenance' role testing and applying bug fixes, or in a
'co-developer' role, working on implementing new functionality, drop me
a line. Let's talk. :-)

--Jeff