[development] PHP input format -> syntax checking

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Tue Aug 22 18:42:04 UTC 2006

On 8/22/06, Dave Cohen <drupal at dave-cohen.com> wrote:
> In node forms, won't the preview button do what you want?  You'd get an error
> during preview instead of saving the error to the database.

That is true on nodes, which is what I was originally posting and
thinking about.

On rereading Tadej's emails I realize that Tadej is referring to the
admin/block page which doesn't have a preview so fatal errors kill
your site and you have to fix it from within the DB (a guess).

Currently Drupal just has a stern warning that messing with the PHP
code for a block can really mess up your site.  Two other possible
solutions are the aforementioned javascript drupal_eval check OR using
previews for any page that has a php input format.  Using javascript
has the drawback of not working for all browsers.  Previews have the
drawback of being relatively slow/painful.  I'm not sure there's
really a better solution than the one we've got (stern warnings).

Regards,
Greg

--
Greg Knaddison | Growing Venture Solutions
Denver, CO | http://growingventuresolutions.com