[development] Splitting up patches

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Fri Aug 25 09:13:40 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2006, at 04:47, Angela Byron wrote:
>
>> For example, say merlinofchaos splits off the .meta files part of his
>> new module administration patch page feature
> because it does too much.  It introduces:
>
>   1. _uninstall hooks,
>   2. a dependency system,
>   3. a notion of 'packages',
>   4. a new UI for module management and
>   5. meta files.
>
> Parts of this patch could probably be committed already, other parts
> need more discussion.  In its current state, it is not likely to advance
> because it is such a burden for everybody involved.  Unless this patch
> gets split, it is not likely to make the September 1 deadline.  If this
> patch gets split, it won't be an 'all or nothing' scenario, and we are
> much likely to benefit from it in 4.8/5.0.

I just keep quietly asking for the throttle checkboxes for modules (and
blocks) to be moved next to the throttle module configuration. That would:
- Make the current page a lot simpler so future changes have something
easier to build off of (dynamic numbers of columns are annoying).
- Provide more space to actually explain what throttle does. (Does
checked mean it is on or off while throttled?)
- Better separation of code into modules.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com/