[development] Looking for patch love

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 10:52:07 UTC 2006

Hello world,

there is a patch that attempts to clean up the node submit hooks:

    http://drupal.org/node/68418

Simarly, check out the profile rendering changes at:

    http://drupal.org/node/79227

It seems to make for a new API trend so we better take the time to
think this through.   Personally, I've mixed feelings about it so I
figured I'd bring this up on the mailing list.  Here is what I think:

   Advantages:
     - No disconnect between the regular flow (through forms) and a
programatic flow.  Less prone to errors, improved APIs to do thing
programmatically.

   Disadvantages:
     - Improved consistency, but not ultimate consistency.  Most
things will continue to use the "old style" worfklow (and hook
mechanism).
     - Not always easier to use or easier to theme.  Not exactly
elegant either -- often very verbose.
     - Expensive in terms of processing cost.  Performance matters a
lot and unless we make Drupal faster, we won't see bigger and bigger
Drupal site.

Let's weight the advantages and disadvantages, and lets figure out
some practical use cases.

When discussing, stick to the topic at hand and avoid wandering off
to Meta Land to discuss the way we do things in general, or how we
should do things.  This is a _technical_ mailing list, and I'm
explicitly asking for a _technical_ discussion on this matter.  Don't
bother responding unless you spent at least 20 minutes poking at the
above patches, or unless you tried an example or two.  Take the time
to investigate this, be critic, and share your own opinion rather
than repeating what others have said (without having looked at the