[development] New Themes for New Drupal

Hannes Lilljequist hannes at perrito.se
Tue Aug 29 22:55:22 UTC 2006

> On the other hand, what would help A LOT is if someone with a
> "design eye" would point out specific places in the themes where
> there are problems and, where possible, suggest alternatives

I'll speak up since I'm a designer as well as a developer (and an end
user), and since I find it important that the core themes are
brilliant. I took a quick look at the themes before and had kind of a
bad feeling about some of it. So I tried to nail down some the
individual problems (as I see them). I'm trying to be pragmatic here
by commenting on Jeff's work, rather than trying to describe my own
perfect dream theme.

First, let me just give an overall "Good work"! I know this is work
in progress and that some of these may be obvious points that you're
already aware of.
I've only looked at the front pages, so I won't comment on forms,
admin stuff etc. Oh, and I've been reviewing the themes using Safari/
OS X.

- General comment: If what we're looking for is eye-candy, something
that makes people think great things about Drupal, then I don't think
Zen (the original) really does it. Beach and Drop however seem to
have a potential to become attractive and solid default themes. On
the other hand, Zen feels very functional and might attract people
who prefer those qualities. It would probably make a good admin theme.
A general feeling though is that there is some unnecessary complexity
sometimes. Too many colors, borders, icons etc. Maybe too little
whitespace. OK, I'll try to be more specific.

- Body text: I think the text size is too big in Zen. Beach is
better. Drops is even better since I (and I think people in general)
find Verdana more friendly than Arial. How about using Trebuchet MS
for one of the themes, maybe just for headings?
Line-height (="leading") is far too low in Zen and Beach and too big
in Drops. Somewhere in between should be great.

- Headings: Way too large in Zen. Beach looks OK but in Drops they're
a bit too big. The underlines in linked headings seem a bit too
striking although in drops-big they are more subtle which is good.
Drops-small has capital letters which is kind of cool but I think
they'd have to be smaller so they don't dominate the page completely.

- Info text etc: I agree with an earlier poster that the node links/
publication info should not use a serif font when the body text is
sans-serif. Try Georgia for the body text in, say, Drops, but make
the links sans-serif. They are way too big in Zen (I think there's a
pattern here!) and I'd make them a tiny bit smaller in Beach as well.

- Icons: In "Recent blog posts", "Active forum topics" and "Who's
new" the icons seem more or less superfluous to me. They don't tell
me anything about the individual links. Especially the node icons are
too striking in this context I think. The user icons seem like the
most justified of these three.
Another thing about icons is I think they should be as color neutral
as possible to make them blend together nicely and work well with
different color schemes. Or they could all follow a specific color
scheme - that looks great but it makes them less reusable.

- Blocks: I like the way the're done in Drops (both versions).
They're kind of nice in Beach as well without borders, but they might
need more whitespace between them. And smaller headings.
I'm not so sure about Zen's blocks. There seem to be too many squares
and lines everywhere. Look at the mission statement - there are no
borders at all, and I think that looks great! As an example of the
opposite, if you move your eye from within a block to the content
column you'll cross two lines AND move from gray to white background.
Is that necessary? I think the sidebars would look better without the
block borders. Maybe use only horizontal borders between the blocks?
In Beach the text within blocks should be made smaller so that it's
easier to distinguish between blocks and the body text on the page.
That's a general rule of thumb I guess; block text should be smaller
than the body text IMO.

- Colors: Drops looks good in general, Beach even more so - if we
fade the yellow background a bit.
Zen. I think light grays are nice, especially in an admin theme. But
I'd go for a darker header - maybe blue with white text like in the
other themes.
Zen-fixed. I don't like the purple background. How about white or
light blue?

- It seems silly to provide both drops-big and drops-small since
they're so similar. The main difference is the header image which
will often get replaced anyway. By the way, I'm not crazy about the
rounded box in the header. I think it has to do with it being at the
same time semi-light on the dark header and semi-dark on the white
background. I think I'd like it to be either dark or light - or
replace it with another solution.

- Drops has a too narrow middle column. I suggest you disable the
right column.

- Fixed vs. Fluid: I think it's obvious from the discussion that we
should provide both in core. I prefer fixed since it gives me as a
themer control over the proportions between the different elements on
the page. But I'm fine with fluid as a default if that is the
majority's opinion.

- Bonus tip: Include 'Bitstream Vera Sans' with Verdana, 'Bitstream
Vera Serif' with Georgia and 'Bitstream Vera Mono' (I think that's
it) with Courier - if you haven't already done so. For all the brave
Linux users.

Well, I could go on about this forever... I have to stop for now, but
I'd be happy to review any new versions you guys make. Hope you found
some of this useful.

/Hannes Lilljequist - zoo33