[development] The menu - does it have to be different on each page?

Nedjo Rogers nedjo at islandnet.com
Tue Aug 29 23:12:49 UTC 2006

> Couldn't we always render the complete menu and only hide the pieces we
> don't want to show through some CSS/JS?

It would be a good performance boost not to have to rerender the menu for
every page.

There might be usability benefits too. There have been various attempts to
get a fully rendered menu tree for usability purposes, so that we can have
expandable tree menus, avoiding the need for frequent page reloads, see e.g.
the nice_menus module and my patch to this closed issue
http://drupal.org/node/29551, which did some of what might be needed.

Making a single menu work on all pages should be simple enough with css and
js. But with just css? We'd need to figure out some trick to get our
'expanded' and 'collapsed' classes to recognized the current location. No
brilliant idea comes immediately to mind. Anyone else?