[development] The menu - does it have to be different on each page?

Brandon Bergren bdragon at mailsnare.net
Wed Aug 30 16:42:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Bèr Kessels wrote:

> Op woensdag 30 augustus 2006 01:28, schreef Moshe Weitzman:
>> now if we could determine callback without building the menu tree we would
>> be in real fine shape.
>
> Yea. Though interesting idea -rendering the whole tree- I feel it is "looking
> in the wrong area for a solution". The problem is not suc much the building
> of the whole menu vs building a part, the problem is that the menu-system is
> not designed to be optimised very well.

(Thought provoking questions, hopefully)

WWFAPID? (What would FormsAPI do?)

Would doing a more formsapi-ish approach make the code easier to read?
Slower? Faster?

Why isn't the menu *always* a semi-static thing that modules get a chance
to alter?

Why is the menu responsible for paths, really? Wouldn't a seperate system
for paths that could tell the menu to "expand to root" certain items work
too? Couldn't modules take the menu object and tell it to expand the
module's relevant roots, and then the module mark its own items as being
active?

Why does the menu try to do everything itself? Why not delegate some stuff
to the modules?

Why do modules publish individual menu items? Why not publish local roots
and a callback for the menu system to get the children when needed?
Wouldn't this make (taxonomy|category|whatever)_menu modules less bug
prone?

Is there any reason the menu manager can't just become a *service* to
modules? (i.e. an interface to let the admin (user even?) organize the
children under module local roots?) Is the ability to move the originals
around such a good idea? Why not make it easier to duplicate items
instead? Could "alternate paths to this item" be stored in the menu item?

--
>From the mailer of
|_|0|_| B R A N D O N     B E R G R E N
|_|_|0|  T e c h n i c a l