[development] api.drupal.org enhancements
Chad Phillips -- Apartment Lines
chad at apartmentlines.com
Mon Dec 4 19:35:50 UTC 2006
normally i'd just leave this as a project feature request, but since
it concerns the future of api.drupal.org, i thought i'd at least
bring it to everyone's attention:
http://drupal.org/node/101308 -- make api objects nodes
discussion with some fellow devs has led me to explore the idea of
making the api module run through the node system -- ie, any api
'objects' (functions, files, constants, topics, php functions, etc.)
would be mapped to one object per node.
1. more robust searching for free: the main documentation would be
made the body of the node, so regular searches via search module
would provide another search vector.
2. comments: users would be able to add comments to further clarify
the doc, ala php.net
3. bookmarks: using bookmark module, users could have a handy block
of links to their most used doc sections.
4. ratings/reviews: using voting modules, posted comments could be
community moderated by popularity
...and probably half a million other things we get for free, or are
easily accessible, because we are interfacing with drupal's primary
1. performance hit: going through the node system *could* be slower
than the current system, which might slow down the doc site for
2. more code to maintain: the module will probably get even more
complex if we take this route.
3. more site maintainance: if we're installing other contrib modules
to get some of the above features, then it will be more maintenance/
upgrade work for the api.drupal.org folks.
if you have any insights, please post them to the issue listed above!
More information about the development