[development] Temporary tables in search.module

Ken Rickard agentrickard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 20:19:46 UTC 2006

I am writing a search plugin for the MySite module, which displays content
in MyYahoo! style link clusters.

The requirement is that user be able to save searches to their MySite page.
This requirement means that multiple searches might be requested when

The core search function do_search() creates temporary tables to store data
and assumes that only one search will be run per page load.

As a result, trying to execute do_search() more than once per page view
throws SQL errors.

I have described the issue in greater detail here:

http://drupal.org/node/102219

I am definitely not suggesting that temporary tables be removed from core.
I am simply looking for a good solution to my issue.

I would appreciate feedback on the issue, rather than the list.

Thanks,

Ken Rickard
agentrickard