[development] Confused: package value of info files

Steven Peck speck at blkmtn.org
Thu Dec 21 08:29:39 UTC 2006

What?  This is set to help end user experience.  One end users needs are
not another's.  Too many discrete groupings only serve to confuse and
dilute the usefulness of the feature.  In any given install there are
very very few groupings of modules that will work and play well together
in such a grouping.

Dismissing the community experience and the very long discussions we've
had planning this as 'merely dev type opinions' is not a correct thing
to say.  We have had serious participation form coders, UI folks, end
users non-coders, support types, etc.

http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/development/2006-November/021080.html

> Yes, I have read your technical explanation before.  It is the end
user
> experience I am trying to benefit.  I agree that a module in a
package,
> package grouping, category or what ever it is needs to move to Other
if
> there is only one in the grouping installed in the users environment.
> I disagree that if I have more than one Taxonomy module package
> installed that the menu should display both of those in the Other
> package grouping rather than the Taxonomy package grouping.
>
> Earnie

There are a lot of levels of use here that were hammered out in the
initial discussions.  This is a step.  We as a community need to see
what develops out of the initial setup.  Now is not the time to leap off
the bridge we just built.  Just because something leverages the taxonomy
system does not mean it cooperates, plays well with or bears anything
but a passing relationship to any other taxonomy based module.  It just
means it needs taxonomy from core turned on.  Is this taxonomy module a
menu?  A section module?  A breadcrumb module?  A theme module?  A forum
access module?

Each change in how things interoperate brings us knowledge and
experience.  So far we have a consistent policy.  Let's see what we
learn from this in the 5.0 release and apply that to the 6.0 release.  I
suspect that we will learn that this was pretty close to what we do for
6.0 but we'll see as 5.0 will bring us a whole new realm of people,
backgrounds and experiences.