[development] Story vs Page - Again

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 04:08:51 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> I think that now page should be on by default and not
> allowed to be deleted; it becomes the require content type.

When I was working on the patch that introduced CCK functionality into
core (<http://drupal.org/node/62340>), I wanted 'page' (and 'story')
to be a content type that could be disabled, but not deleted. However,
the ability to 'disable' a content type was a feature that didn't make
it into core. Thus, the 'page' content type in Drupal 5 is one that
can be deleted.

In order to make 'page' a content type that can be disabled, we'd have
to move it back into its own separate 'page.module' (it's currently
created by node.module), and make it once again get defined through
hook_node_info(). Then, when page.module gets disabled, the content
type would also be disabled.

I think the fact that both 'page' and 'story' can be deleted makes it
clear enough to end-users that neither or these content types is
necessary, and that both of them are pretty similar. I don't really
see the need to move them back into their own modules.

Cheers,
Jaza.