[development] Story vs Page - Again

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Fri Dec 22 04:28:02 UTC 2006

On 12/21/06, Khalid B <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> The reason they exist is historical, and is just for flexibility.

And for an upgrade path from 4.7.

On the flexibility angle, I'm going to propose a patch with two/three
changes:
* page not promoted by default
* page with comments off by default
* (don't know if we can easily do this) page with "submitted by" turned off
by default

Having two content types, even though identical in fields, provides more
> flexibility in workflow. For example, one can be moderated by default,
> and have comments on by default, the other can be not so.
>
> In 5.0, you can define your own type, or delete story if you don't like
> it.

I've been looking at programmatically defining new / different content types
as part of alternate install profiles. I spent some time on this today and I
think I uncovered some areas that could be improved in default.profile --
some stuff (like required modules) should be moved to system.install, and
some things, (like defining page and story) might work better in
default.profile.

I encourage everyone to try and make an install profile by doing "cp -R
profiles/default profiles/your_new_profile" -- I suspect this is the "cut
and paste" install profile method that we'll see the most of initially.

I got pretty far today in perhaps an hour. I wanted to not have story, but
instead a replacement node type called "pressrelease".

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747