[development] Confused: package value of info files

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 22 19:06:36 UTC 2006

Quoting Gabor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu>:

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> <quote>If your module comes with other modules or is meant to be
>> used exclusively with other modules, enter the name of the package
>> here.</quote> Hmm... It uses Taxonomy ... Hmm... That must be the
>> package string value I should use for my package.
>
> Earnie, "package" and "module" are not the same things.

That really depends on which definition you use for package and which
one you use for module.  I think this definition for product from IBM
as found using define:product on Google fits well: "An installable unit
of a software product. Software product packages are separately
installable units that can operate independently from other packages of
that software product."  For module I find "A program unit that is
discrete and identifiable with respect to compiling, combining with
other units, and loading."  Since package and module both resolve to a
unit of software I think of them as synonymous.

> Package is a module suite, in which the modules are usually
> architected to work closely together (like the links package,
> ecommerce, the erp module suite, etc). Core modules are not forming
> module suites with contrib modules. Contrib modules themselfs can
> form module suites. You won't have taxonomy module listed with other
> taxonomy related modules in your module list for sure. There is no
> taxonomy module suite (package).

The definition for package Drupal needs to promote is one as found in
the same Google search I mentioned above: "A package is a collection of
modules related by authorship, maintenance, or distribution."

Earnie