[development] Even more flexibility in content management

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 15:56:19 UTC 2006

On 28 Dec 2006, at 22:23, Zohar Stolar wrote:
> I was looking through Drupal.org to find if there is work towards
> granulating the permissions table a bit more, by adding a way to
> limit administer/access to nodes by type.
> The idea (which has certainly been raised before) is to add, next to:
>
> "create TYPE content", - adding new nodes of that content type
> "edit own TYPE content", - editing the contents of own nodes of
> that content type
> "edit TYPE content", - editing the contents of all nodes of that
> content type (whether or not the user has right to create nodes)
>
> two more possibilities:
>
> "view TYPE content" - roles that are allowed to view the content
> type's nodes
> "administer TYPE content" - roles that are allowed to modify the
> publishing options on all nodes of that content type

It's strange that so many people shout 'yes'.  I think this is the
wrong approach to the problem.  We need to differentiate between:

   (i) access to functionality
  (ii) access to content/nodes

(i) can be managed using regular permissions, but (ii) can't be
managed using permissions.  For (ii), we need node-level
permissions.  Why?  Because we need to fix (ii) at the SQL layer so
that inaccessible content disappears from pages, blocks, pagers, etc.

In fact, we should move 'edit TYPE content' and 'edit own TYPE
content' from (i) to (ii).  For many people these permissions don't
make sense.  They want to say something like 'edit content in
category Traveling' and/or 'edit own content in category Traveling'.