[development] Even more flexibility in content management

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 29 17:59:04 UTC 2006

Quoting Johan Forngren <johan at forngren.com>:

> You added some good points to the discussion, however...
>
> On 12/29/06, Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/28/06, Rob Barreca <rob at electronicinsight.com> wrote:
>> >  A bit off-topic and not super critical, but this will also need to spur
>> > discussion of a more manageable access control page if we have something
>> > like 5 perms for each content type. Is there an issue/any ideas on how
>> > simplify the access control page? Or, is a super long matrix format
>> still
>> > the best way to go?
>> >

>> Let's think it through a bit:
>>
>> Read, Create, Delete (RCD)
>

> Update/edit should be added here

Duh. So we'll change it to

Create, Read, Update, Delete (CRUD)

>> Self, Group, Others   (SGO)
>

> Others could be both members/visitors. I think we should separate them. We
> should also separate group and roles or merge them completely, see
> http://drupal.org/node/53772#comment-111016.

Why would member vs visitor be different for Other?  I don't see how it
can be different.  The visitor is just a non-authenticated member.  The
visitor is always assigned the non-authenticated role and can never be
assigned another role.  The authenticated member is alwasy assigned the
authenticated role and the role, if any, assigned to his profile.
Group though is new to Drupal core as far as access control is
concerned and AFAIK.  Roles could be assigned to a Group as well and
then the member assigned a Group.  The ORed bits of all the Roles would
determine what the user permissions are.  The Group control could be
used to allow an authenticated member to create a sub-site and only
members of the sub-site group could visit that content.

Perhaps multiple additional roles should be allowed to be selected in
the user profile so that the ORed bits give a user greater privilege
with each additional role?

>> Host, Module, Content (HMC)
>

> What do you mean with "host"? The site in general?

Yes site in general.

>> Admin, Non-Admin (AN)

Earnie