[development] Connecting to multiple databases in 5.x

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri Dec 29 18:14:24 UTC 2006

> Now that the settings.php file is write protected, the instructions
> at http://drupal.org/node/18429 no longer work to connect to multiple
> databases. I searched around but wasn't able to find anything on a
> recommended way to do this in 5.x. And, of course, the documentation
> on that page needs to be updated, too.

settings.php is not write-protected. More than likely:

  * your webserver is a user and group that you don't have access to.
  * when the install.php wrote your settings.php for you, it was
    unable to give you proper permissions to write to the file.

Drupal does not enforce write protection on the settings.php.
The above is still the right way of doing multiple databases.

The installer should be creating the file as writable. Could you tell
us more about the permissions and ownership it created for that file?

--
Morbus Iff ( is this a cut out bath-poster Morbus, or what? )