[development] Re: freetagging: let's users select a parentcategory

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Wed Feb 1 09:12:07 UTC 2006

Op dinsdag 31 januari 2006 23:31, schreef Nedjo Rogers:
> > Bèr is talking about a more complex tagging system...
>
> I think your scenario *is* what Bèr is talking about, and I like his idea.
It is :)

> > Imagine that I want to create a "Madrid" city
> > so I would like to tag this as "Spain".
>
> you would type
>
> Europe/
>
> for the cagetory, and get a drop-down list of all terms in that term.  Not
> finding Spain, you would continue:
>
> Europe/Spain
>
> and when you submitted your post the term would be created as a sub-term of
> Europe.

And when there is no europe yet, you wuold get:
 Europe (nothing is autofilled)
 Europe/Spain
On submit, Europe will be made, and after that Spain, as a child of the fresh
Europe.

> (Caveat: we'd have to disallow some characters in term names (/, :, <, >).
We already have this solved with comma's, by regexp-escaping them.

On top of that, it is dead-easy to create a complex form to generate such
standard strings.
It is (in a way) what we do with advanced search, and what google does in

 PGP ber at webschuur.com
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_webschuur.asc
 PGP berkessels at gmx.net
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_gmx.asc