[development] When should a module be tagged DRUPAL-4-7?

eric Farris eafarris at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 16:52:32 UTC 2006

On 2/3/06, Jeff Eaton <jeff at viapositiva.net> wrote:
> That raises a question for me, though -- what happens if I want to
> release a major new version of my module in three months, after 4.7 has
> shipped? Should I start using one set of tags for the drupal version and
> another for the module 'milestone' version?

I think the problem that you'd run in to there is lots of extra
support. You would have to then:

1) keep three branches open. The 'original' release that coincides
with the Drupal release, the 'new' release that still will work on the
latest Drupal release, and HEAD.

or

2) drop the original release, and field bug reports for it by saying
'just get the new version, and run the update script. You'll probably
have to do some digging when fielding new bug reports, since you'll
want to know which version of your module is actually getting the
report.

>From my chair, no thanks. You'll have early adopters/testers that will
try your HEAD versions anyway, until HEAD can't run with the last
stable Drupal release.

If the cvs+project module handles custom tags and not just the
'official' ones, I suppose most of my objections would be moot, but
even then you have the extra problem of users filing reports against
the right version of your module, which *might* be the same version of
Drupal. You could handle that by putting a version number or the Id
tag in your settings or somewhere.

It's just my opinion that new features are for HEAD, and only HEAD.
I've been wrong before (in fact, it's my defining characteristic.) :)

www.eafarris.com