[development] Form field maxlengths vs. database field sizes

Darrel O'Pry dopry at thing.net
Mon Feb 13 17:07:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 09:40 +0100, Piotr Krukowiecki wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 01:43:57PM +0530, Karthik wrote:
> > How about pgSQL?
>
> Postgres counts in characters.
>

> [Sidenote]
> Furthermore, there's no difference in performance between
> char/varchar/text and I've changed several columns from varchar(n) to
> text in cases where data was of unknown lenght (e.g. referrer, url etc).
>
> I've left other columns unchanged because I didn't want to drift away
> from mysql version too much, but I'd prefer to change (almost) all
> columns for user-supplied data (e.g. node title comes to mind) to
> unlimited lenght... I don't see why we should limit user and say how
> long his title can be.

To add on...

My understanding of Mysql(isam && innodb), correct me if I'm wrong, is
that there is really no difference between the varchar(n) types and
text. At least in terms of memory consumption/character.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/storage-requirements.html

I'd really prefer seeing greater text field lengths. It would close a
few issues in the issue queue as well... Like aggregator clipping RSS
guid's.

.darrel.