[development] Upgrade system

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Wed Feb 15 03:35:18 UTC 2006

Hi,

I don't know if this was because everyone was at DrupalCon or no one
really knows.

But I have worked out the answers to my questions.

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 10:15 +1100, Gordon Heydon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last night I converted E-Commerces old update system to the very cool
> new one. However I did run over 1 issue.
>
> When I am loading a fresh version of the schema, how do I tell the
> system which revisions have already been loaded.
>
> I know that the update system takes this from the system table, but I
> couldn't even find where Drupal does this.
>
> If anyone can enlighten me, I will be much appreciated.

What happens is that when you install a new module is 2 things happen.

1. all the .install files are included and {module name}_update_n, where n is
   considered the schema version is inserted into the system table.
2. the {module name}_install() is called where if you want you can create the database
   tables.

I still haven't really found out much information on the 4.7 update
system which this is hooked into, hopefully the documentation team has
something that they are putting together.

I hope this helps anyone else.

Gordon.