[development] no 4-7-0 branch for core yet?

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Mon Feb 20 20:44:42 UTC 2006

On 20-Feb-06, at 11:56 AM, Morbus Iff wrote:

>> between 4.6 and 4.7 should really be major release number changes,
>> e.g 4.6 -> 5.0, not point releases.
>
> I disagree. If I can simplify the last six months of work:
>
>   FormAPI or, as I prefer, FAPI.
>   Security/validation related to FAPI
>
> This is a framework/API "developer feature", and not something that
> the end-user will ever care to appreciate. Taking FAPI out of the
> equation, I don't really see the number of *important* features
> that would make justify a 5.0 release.

well, the xtemplate -> phptemplate switch (yeah, I forgot that was
this cycle too) will also create an OMGWTF reaction with a bunch of
people (probably the ton of drupal admins not on this list).
Personally, I'm not worried about it... but I knew (or had a good
idea) it was coming and had already made the switch... but a quick
show of hands at the last toronto drupal user group meetup made me
realize that there are those who still use xtemplate.

Again, this isn't really a "user feature" - although, it's arguably
not really a "developer feature" as well.

My case for version numbering would be tied to backwards
compatibility ... but then, Drupal would be somewhere around version
62.0.2 by now. ;)

--
James Walker :: http://walkah.net/