[development] Forms.module for 4.7

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Wed Feb 22 09:07:56 UTC 2006

Op dinsdag 21 februari 2006 11:18, schreef Karoly Negyesi:
> > @Ber: you can build all your forms manually, and make a
> > Drupal4Blind....for 99% of people, they will find an admin with a JS
> > browser to build a form in 10sec.

Yea cool. Drupal4PDA, Drupal4Opera, Drupal4OldBrowsers, Drupal4Lynx,
Drupal4smallservers, you get it. Standards are there to abide. If we choose
to break them, fine. But only if there is a good reason to, and *never*
*ever* because we are too lazy to figure out how to write well-degrading
stuff. ever!

And even if this is a supplement, a contrib, a layer of icing. How hard is it
to develop it right? To develop it standards compliant and degrading? If the
answer is "too hard", then we are either too lazy, or not yet up to the task
of developing JS interfaces.

> Spoken straight from my heart.

Suddenly I am getting *really* concerned. Already four core contributors have
literaly said that they no longer care about JS degrading.... I hope that
this will not infect the way Drupal evolves.

Hey, folks, c'mon, I am not anti JS, not at all! I am just very much anti
BadJS. And since 99.5% of thje JS out there is just plain Bad (including a
fast growing part of the current AJAX farts), from its core, that may sound
the same.

A *good*, degrading, form builder, using whatever technology: +100.
A *bad*, non degrading,  form builder: -10000

Bèr

[1] alert("sorry! your browser is not supported, please download the latest
internet explorer here")
[2] document.write("Your browser does not support javascript, please download
the latest netscape")
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Your+browser+does+not+support+javascript%22&btnG=Search :)
[3] I mean, I can use Gmail fine, from any browser, including lynx (only tried
once, never really used it). I cannot use digg on anything w/o JS, simply
because these folks were too lazy to add normal GET processing to the
digg-this links. How hard is it to add
digg.com/Web_2.0_XHTML_CSS_Page_Generator/digg_it links, and to add a simple
onClick() to hijack working JS? Bah!
 PGP ber at webschuur.com
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_webschuur.asc
 PGP berkessels at gmx.net