pressure cooker on the heat (Re: [development] "I'm disappointed by the freeze")

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Wed Feb 22 14:25:05 UTC 2006

Karthik wrote:
  > What's the difference between the above and RTC?

I don't understand the question (RTC)...

But here is the essence of my idea stated differently:

There is currently no way to delegate the task of reviewing patches to
trusted developers with lots of Drupal experience and a proven track
record (and give the results of their review extra meaning). Giving some
people the "promote patch" permission enables a group of people to do
more of the workload without the risk that their work gets wasted
(buried in the queue).

The separate patch queue is, of course, just a matter of classification.
Issues will have the "promoted" field checked, and then they're in the
second queue. At this point, however, they have a special status that is
codified by the fact that a view exists to display just this set of issues.

So two goals are met: delegated responsibility for reviewing issues and
heightened visibility for the issues that get promoted.

One could argue that we just add another status to the current list and
rely on the search filter to display it, but imo that isn't special
enough, not visible enough. An issue entering the pressure cooker needs
to send strong signals throughout the community:

- this is an important issue and some trusted developer has looked at it
carefully.
- this issue is guaranteed to be evaluated by a core committer.
- this issue will leave the pressure cooker either by entering the
Drupal codebase or by being rejected, at which point it will not likely
be worthwhile to revive it.

Furthermore, it will be easier to open up subscription and notification
channels for this queue if there is a clear distinction:

- mail notifications when issues enter the pressure cooker
- RSS feed for all pressure cooker issues.

Finally, we have a chance to add some marketing value to these issues.
I'm calling it the pressure cooker, but my intention is that whatever we
call it, people should be able to immediately understand that "this is
where it's happening... this is the space to watch". It will be easier
to motivate large efforts (testing, reviewing, commenting etc.) if there
is a real distinction. We can have a link on the front page. It is
easier to say "Focus on the pressure cooker" than it is to say "Focus on
all issues with status xyz".

Did I hit your question?

cheers,

Robert