[development] 4.8/5.0: Modules, the install system, and directories

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed Feb 22 16:29:32 UTC 2006

> Why any of these at all? why not a simple
 > hook_info or hook_help in the .install?

Because, unlike modules, the code for an .install is nearly *always*
growing. Whereas modules may lose functions or become tighter code,
.install files MUST, for legacy reasons, keep all the data changes
around. Any gains we get by using .install files in admin/modules would
be utterly destroyed if we had to load system.install (which would
contain all of the current/legacy updates.inc in my proposal).

--
Morbus Iff ( you are nothing without your robot car, NOTHING! )
O'Reilly Author, Weblog, Cook: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/779