[development] 4.8/5.0: Modules, the install system, and directories

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Wed Feb 22 16:55:11 UTC 2006

Khalid B wrote:

> If splitmode is not the only way of doing things (can't imagine it would
> be so for the time being), then we need an external file to do that part.

For what it is worth, I would like to see all of the help texts in a
separate file. The case I often run into is that the texts chosen by
module authors are inappropriate for a particular site I am building.
The current "Drupal way" of fixing this is to turn on the locale.module,
create a new version of English (en-US), disable the standard English,
and translate the inappropriate texts from English to English. You can
see how this is a horrible waste. I'd much rather have a texts file that
extracted help and as much of the texts (if not all) as possible. This
way, I could give the file to a non-tech person and say "fix it", with a
  reasonably high chance of them not screwing it all up. I can't do that
with the current system.

So while there are arguments for keeping the .file proliferation to a
minimum, there are some good arguments to the contrary.

-Robert