[development] 4.8/5.0: Modules, the install system, and directories

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 18:43:34 UTC 2006

On 2/22/06, Bèr Kessels <ber at webschuur.com> wrote:
> We all write PHP. We all know it.

I believe that is a flawed assumption or at least that "we" is being
defined differently by different people in this thread.  Some Drupal
users will not open PHP files and if the only way to edit an config
file is by opening/editing PHP files then they will say "drupal is
only for developers".

In order to decide on a file format the first task is deciding the
audience.  Is it just the module developers who already know PHP?  Is
it module developers most of the time and other folks who are scared
of PHP some of the time?  Is it module developers a little bit of the
time and "regular folks" 99% of the time?  I think the 3rd item in my
list is the most likely - developer writes the file once, users
install the thing thousands of times and may need to read or even
<gasp> edit that file to get it to work.

Greg