[development] 4.8/5.0: Modules, the install system, and directories

Owen Barton drupal at grugnog.com
Thu Feb 23 05:58:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 13:46 -0500, Morbus Iff wrote:
> > list is the most likely - developer writes the file once, users
> > install the thing thousands of times and may need to read or even
> > <gasp> edit that file to get it to work.
>
> A user would never need to edit an .ini or .info file, just like they
> never need to edit a .module or an .install file. Irrelevant argument.
>
> .install, .module, .inc., and .info files are developer only.

I think that is one of the problems with using a .ini extension - it is
often used for configuration and program settings. A think .meta is more
semantically in line with what we are talking about.

In general I like the idea of using the ini file format, but I would
like to make sure the parse_ini() function is nicely wrapped, so we
could change/extend/mashup things in the future without lots of
downstream changes.

- Owen