[development] 4.8/5.0: Modules, the install system, and directories

Theodore Serbinski tss24 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 23 17:27:30 UTC 2006

On 2/23/06, Owen Barton <drupal at grugnog.com> wrote:
> > And one more:
> >
> >     * misc/drupal.css can get split up into module directories
> >       so that module-specific CSS (such as aggregator and forums)
> >       doesn't get downloaded even if the module isn't enabled.
> >       Also, I think it'll make for cleaner CSS in the long run.
>
> While I agree with this in terms of simplifying code organization I
> think that we would want to consider the number of files sent to the
> client. Each css file is a http request with the overhead that that
> implies.

Yes this could still occur. We would simply include 'modules.php'
which would be content-type text/css and would be dynamicly generated
with all of the correct CSS from the modules. The one problem with
this though, could be a caching issue, however, possibly, since the
file is of content-type text/css, it might be cached. Or we can come
up with our own mechanism in Drupal.

ted