[development] google just pwned the brochureware site industry

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Fri Feb 24 03:08:56 UTC 2006

This comes down to the question of whether the disruptive technologies
and economies of this new era can truly compete with the centralized
megacorp models. We're seeing the big corporations having a big problem
adapting to the fast microchanges in the long tail economy -- which is
where most industries are heading.

Google may buy some time by offering a Google CMS, but I think
ultimately the people who go for that are the people who are not
considering Drupal now -- they WANT a hosted, managed,
just-tell-me-what-to-do system. Drupal is on the opposite end of the
paradigm, and appeals to different people who think differently than
those who want the corporate-sponsored service.

Who uses AOL and who puts their internet services together themselves?

Who blogs on Blogger and who downloads Wordpress or MT (or Drupal!) and
does it themselves?

What Google does certainly is worth noticing, given how huge they are.
But I truly wonder at how a megacorp can compete in a marketplace that's
all about personal empowerment, which is where we, in all our
Drupal-related niches, live.

Laura

--

*Laura Scott*, President