[development] Drupal and i18n, the holy grail?

Rob Thorne rob at torenware.com
Sun Feb 26 04:13:05 UTC 2006

This is why Arabic is a great script for doing these kinds of tests:
it's contextual (meaning that letters need to be drawn differently
depending upon what glyphs they're near),  bi-directional (byte
direction != physical layout), and written right-to-left, so very often,
page layout needs to change as well.  If you've done Arabic right,
you'll do almost anything else right as well.

Now that most apps use Unicode and along with it UTF8, Japanese is less
valuable a test, since the old encodings were variable multibyte
encodings:  meaning that not each glyph took the same number of bytes to
record.  Now with UTF8, even French and German are multibyte, so if you
get French or German right, Japanese will probably be mostly right as
well (except if we start seeing Japanese and Chinese written
top-to-bottom, right-to-left, which isn't common yet):  don't shorten
strings by byte count but by character count, etc.

Although you would get this by testing Arabic as well.  So we'd solve a
lot of problems if we'd just develop Drupal in Arabic and then localize
it into English, count to think.

:-)